Thursday, June 27, 2013

I can't decide if Western Civilization is decadent or resourceful

So I was at Whole Foods this morning just grabbing a roll for lunch, and outside I saw Lobster Compost.

Yup.

Compost made from lobsters. How decadent is our society that we buy lobsters to just throw them on the ground?

I googled it when I got to the office and felt slightly better about it (I actually figured this was what it was in the store) - it's made from the remains of the lobster - the shell, etc. So maybe we're not decadent at all and we're just being resourceful.

But it was selling in Whole Foods so I'm leaning towards decadent.

3 comments:

  1. On the bright side of things, hopefully the lobsters were largely consumed before what was left of them was made into compost...

    ReplyDelete
  2. FWIW, in the mid-to-late 19th century, lobster was regarded as a "trash" sea creature, eaten mostly by the poor and often just thrown away (used as compost).

    http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2006/03/how-lobster-clawed-its-way

    ReplyDelete
  3. Make that "early-to-mid 19th century"

    ReplyDelete

All anonymous comments will be deleted. Consistent pseudonyms are fine.